South Africa: Solar Growth Potential & Market Possibilities
This special edition #SolarMOOC explored South Africa solar potential in a shared presentation and discussion between solar experts David Lipschitz, Sean White and Richard Stovall. Some topics that were covered include:
- Solar potential in South Africa – solar resource data
- Solar market emergence in South Africa
- Grid Parity in South Africa in 2015
- How sharing “Negawatts” can benefit the customer and the utility- the benefits of net metering
- Preview of material to be covered in upcoming solar training course in Durban, South Africa (to be taught by Sean White)
Sean White’s Slides: You can download Sean White’s slideshow PDF here via a Dropbox link.
Richard Stovall’s Slides:
World Changers Academy –
Through its successful programs in Durban, South Africa, thousands of lives have been transformed since WCA began its first Life Skills course in August 2002. Joe White, Sean White’s brother, manages this organization.
Model Rules for Shared Renewable Energy Programs – From the Interstate Renewable Energy Council (IREC) Vote Solar Initiative
Shared Renewables HQ– Site dedicated to progress of solar policy development in the USA
South Africa Renewable Energy Project Map – a map of project development in South Africa with details on projects
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NetMeteringSA
Electric Solar Light Fund website: SELF’s mission is to design and implement solar energy solutions to assist the 1.5 billion people living in energy poverty with their economic, educational, health care and agricultural development.
Solar Resource Production in South Africa : an in depth analysis
Links to PV Magazine articles on solar expansion in South Africa:
- South Africa world’s most attractive emerging country for solar
- South Africa picks six preferred bidders for 450 MW of solar
- Juwi to build 86 MW PV plant in South Africa
- Scatec Solar connects South Africa’s first renewable independent power project to the grid
- ReneSola sets up South African sales office
Upcoming Energy Conferences where you may meet our lecturer David Lipschitz:
- Power and Electricity World Africa, in Johannesburg: 11th March
- Climate Reality Leader Africa Course with Al Gore, in Johannesburg: 12th to 14th March
- Power-Gen Africa 2014, in Cape Town: 17th to 19th March. Panel discussion on Renewable Energy Grid Integration on the 19th will feature David as a panelist.